Leaving the World of Work Behind

By | September 29, 2009

We woke early, got the last of our belongings together, and left the lodge at 4:45 a.m. to meet our ferry. We were greeted by two heart-felt notes in the staff house before we left. (It was too dark to take pictures of them where they were, so I took them down and stored them for later, when I was able to take pictures. I apologize for the crumpled, ripped appearance.)

We reached the ferry terminal and were able to board almost immediately. We left the dock right around 6:00 a.m., and it was still semi-dark outside, a true sign it’s not summer anymore in Alaska.

As the sun rose, we headed into a very low-lying dense fog bank. We got closer and closer and closer, and then we were completely surrounded by white nothingness. It was so dense that once we were fully enclosed in fog, we couldn’t see the rising sun or any of the nearby mountain peaks.

Approximately 5 minutes later, we came out on the other side and had gorgeous clear views ahead of us.

The sun rose higher and higher in the sky, and we could tell it was going to be a beautiful day, just what I had been hoping for. Our first ferry trip was okay, but it had been foggy and rainy the entire time. So we were in for a real treat, with clear blue skies and sunny warm weather for the whole first day of our journey.

Sunrise View from the Ferry

The sunrise was gorgeous, made even better by the fact that I was done with work for the summer!

There was a serious photographer running around the boat, snapping pictures. Jen, this picture is for you to drool over. (the lens, I mean, not the man.)

Here’s me, out enjoying some rays.

And Tom, doing the same.

We docked in Ketchikan at 5:00 a.m. and at around 5:30 we decided to go ashore and see the town. It was still dark, but we found an open drive-through coffee shop and Tom ordered a double-shot mocha. I got a bagel with strawberry cream cheese. Then we walked to the grocery store nearby where Tom got a couple fresh donuts and I got an apple juice. After that there wasn’t much left to do but walk back to the ferry.

We ate our small breakfast sitting out on the back deck. It was very peaceful. Somewhat cloudy overhead, but no rain. And it started to get light. We listened to eagles in the distance, looked around at all the mountains and generally just enjoyed the morning.

You might also like:

One thought on “Leaving the World of Work Behind

  1. Jennifer Skoog Photography

    Finally getting to catch up on your blog!! Aww- so glad you thought of me 🙂 Yes, I am drooling over that L glass lens. Yum. When we become extremely successfull business owners, think of all the things we can buy :). Gorgeous photos.

Comments are closed.